Interior Designing Shaping Dreams
If you think good design is expensive, you should look at the cost of bad design – Ralph Speth.
Whenever you hear the word “designing”, what image does it create in your mind? A person with a pencil in his hand, and sketching some classy outfits? Or a person standing in her studio with glamorous models? There is much more to this field, as designing is not limited to the world of fashion, every sphere of life has a role for a designer, right from designing a logo, a website to homes and beyond, of all these designer ideas ‘Interior Designing” has acquired a lot of prominence, with disposable incomes rising exponentially everyone wants to have a “signature” home, and then comes the beautification of public spaces which are also designed according to the themes that they are representing.
WHAT IS INTERIOR DESIGNING?
Designing is a blend of art and creativity at a place to make it eyepleasing.
Interior design is all about how we experience spaces. It’s about arranging spaces, furniture to suit those using them. It’s a powerful, essential part of our daily lives and affects how we live, work, play, and even heal. Comfortable homes, functional workplaces, beautiful public spaces-that’s interior design at work.
Interior designers make indoor spaces functional, safe, and beautiful by determining space requirements and selecting essential and decorative items
The basic job of an interior designer is to make optimal utilization of available space. Further, you have to make the space more functional and in accordance with the taste and budget of the client. Besides visualizing and conceptualizing the designs for new structures, interior designers also plan the interiors of existing structures that are undergoing renovation or extension. The objective of designing space is to achieve the right atmosphere for the right place
Design spans almost every aspect of our life- from the moment we wake up in the morning and walk to our home- dining, kitchen to office. All spaces we move around are designed by Interior designers.
Interior designers help in the planning and decorating of the interior spaces in either commercial or residential buildings. Some interior designers even work with architects during the initial planning stages of a building. This will help the architects design comfortable and more functional space.
People are becoming interested in customizing their homes as per their needs and choice in the urban as well as rural areas. This is where the interior designer steps in. The task of the Interior designer is to help clients in designing and decorating their homes & offices. They ensure that available space is utilized to the optimum level.
To become an interior designer, you can straight away pursue a Bachelor’s in Interior Designing, or else you can first pursue Bachelor’s in designing followed by a diploma in Interior Designing. To get admission in Bachelor’s in Interior Designing, you will be required to clear entrance exams of various institutes, which will assess you on design aptitude, perception, logical reasoning, general proficiency, etc. The written exam is followed by a personal interview, during which you can showcase your portfolio; in some universities, it is mandatory.
Furthermore, entry into this profession is also possible through other areas of study such as graduation in architecture, fine arts, design, environment planning or a post-graduate program in a similar field. Specialization in a particular area of interior designing can be done depending on your choice. For example; one can excel in business design, residential design or landscape designing. Practical, industrial experience is a must. This can be achieved via internships or upon getting a job.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Essential Skills Every Interior Designer Needs
A student needs to remember that one simply isn’t born with skills, although a few may come naturally to some students. Skills can be learned, developed, encouraged and nurtured to transform a student into a better designer.
Interior Designer needs to be very artistic because creativity is the core of interior designing. No two designs provided by an interior designer can be the same. Every design should be unique and reflect the personality of the client. Interior Designers cannot follow any particular trends as each client’s needs and tastes would be different.
The design solution to a single problem is many and a very creative and out of the box thinking method can set a designer apart from the others. The various Design software’s available such as Auto CAD, Sketch Up, 3D modeling can help the designer put the vision and ideas from his head into virtual creations and present the same to clients. The interior designer needs to constantly research and read and keep track of the newest materials etc. in the market. An interior designer needs to be Artistic, Analytical, People oriented and Business oriented.
An interior designer possesses a wide range of talent, skills and abilities.
- Artistic ability- Interior designers use their sense of style to develop designs that are aesthetically pleasing.
- Creativity- Interior designers need to be imaginative in selecting furnishings and fabrics and in creating spaces that serve the client’s needs and fit the client’s lifestyle.
- Detail oriented- Interior designers need to be precise in measuring interior spaces and creating drawings, so that their drawings can be used by other workers such as engineers or other designers.
- Interpersonal skills- Interior designers need to be able to communicate effectively with clients and others. Much of their time is spent soliciting new clients and new work and collaborating with other designers, engineers, and general building contractors on ongoing projects.
- Problem-solving skills- Interior designers must address challenges, such as construction delays and the high cost or sudden unavailability of certain materials, while keeping the project on time and within budget.
- Visualization- Interior designers need a strong sense of proportion and visual awareness in order to understand how pieces of a design will fit together to create the intended interior environment.
- Draw out preliminary designing plans, including electrical layouts
- Present design and ideas to clients as per their needs and budgets
- Design final plans and layouts using designing software
- Define timelines for the interior design project and estimate associated project costs
- Work closely with architects, structural & mechanical engineers to determine how interior spaces will look and be furnished
- Source relevant materials and oversee the installation of the design elements
- Stay abreast of recent progress in the design industry
SCOPE AND OPPORTUNITIES
The interior design industry which once was considered as a sub domain of architecture has evolved to become a fully-fledged, established profession today. The continuously increasing population of India results in a greater need for more living spaces, which means there are more and more homes that need the expertise of an interior designer. Additionally, housing in large and dense cities is commonly on the small side, which implicates that optimization of the available space is crucial.
Apart from that, people’s attention for the look and feel of their environment has sharpened, and they are more than happy to embrace the assistance of a professional interior designer to achieve their vision. From small towns to large cities all over the country, interior designers are highly sought after as a result of the fact that the design industry in India has grown tremendously in the past decade. This development implies that the regard of interior designers has gone up drastically and that there is a higher need for qualified professionals in today’s market. Hence various courses in interior design and its specializations are gaining popularity.
Interior designing is a growing career field with increasing importance being given to the aesthetic appeal of various spaces — be it the office or the home. The better your space is designer, the happier and more positive you will tend to feel when you are in that space.
There is enormous demand for qualified interior designers in India. So to be professionally qualified from a reputed institution is a must. And with adequate experience, you can start your own interior decoration business.
The Scope of Interior designing in today’s world is much more competitive and is huge than it was years ago; backed with flair for innovative thinking and designing one can reach a pinnacle in this field.
The interior designers in India can work in the following areas such as:
- Architectural Firms
- Construction Firms
- Town and city planning bureaus
- Hotels and health resorts
- Design Studios
- Real estate companies
- Independent, self- employed interior designers
- Teaching in an institute that offers courses in interior designing
- Urban Ladder
- Bonito Designs
Below is a list of top Interior Designers in India-
- Sunita Kohli
- Tanya Gyani
- Anjum Jung
- Cherag and Roozmehr Bardolivala
- Aamir Sharma
- CEPT University, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur
- National Institute of Fashion Designing, New Delhi
- Sir JJ School of Art, Mumbai
- J D institute of fashion technology, Multiple locations
- Vogue Fashion Institute, Bangalore
- MIT – Institute of Design , Pune
- Jagan Nath Institute of Management Studies, New Delhi
- Indian school of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
Various Institutes also have entrance exam as a part of the screening process. It is conducted to test the drawing and designing skills of the candidate. It may be followed by a personal interview. Few popular entrance exams are-
- NID Entrance Exam
- MIT Institute of Design entrance
- UCEED – IIT Bombay will conduct Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design
- AIEED – National level entrance exam conducted by ARCH Academy of Design for admissions to Undergraduate and Post-Graduate programs in Design
Being an Interior Designer is a creative process. You will get immense pleasure when your customers will appreciate your designs. The field will give you opportunities to meet different people. Before stepping up in this field one should keep in mind the following points.
- It is advisable that you should have completed an internship or some sort of apprenticeship under an interior designer or a firm.
- One should acquire good knowledge of Auto CAD and other computer related programs which can help you give new dimensions to your career.
- Strong business skills, personal networking, as well as flair and perseverance are likely to impress prospective employers.